Homemade Peppermint Extract

Herbs!  I have so much Peppermint growing on my deck and only so much tea to drink.  I love the smell of Peppermint growing so much that I bought 3 different kinds.   They all did so well but what else can you do with all of the leaves?  Dry it, make tea, what else?   A quick Google search had me so excited I was at it in a hurry, make your own Peppermint Extract!  It is super easy and I had everything all ready.  We love Minty Brownies, Peppermint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream and Chocolate Mint Cookies.  Now I can have fresh, homemade, organic peppermint extract all the time!  This saves so much money, those extracts can be very expensive for a tiny bottle.  Now my mind is turning on what other kind of extracts I can make with a bottle of vodka.  Lemon, vanilla, coconut....just in time to be ready for fall and holiday baking.


Homemade Peppermint Extract
Print recipe here
1/4 - 1/2 Cup fresh Peppermint leaves
1- 2 Cups decent Vodka (I used Absolut Vodka, 80 proof)
1 glass jar with tight lid

1.  Pick your Peppermint leaves off and bruise by rolling them between your hands.  Stop and smell :)


2.  Place Peppermint leaves in a glass jar, cover leaves completely with vodka or it will mold.


3.  Put the lid on, place a sticker with the day's date on it so you know when it will be ready.
4.  Store the filled glass jar in a dark, cool and dry cupboard or pantry.


5.  Shake, swirl and wait 30 days.   
6.  After 30 days remove leaves and use in your coffee, lattes, hot cocoa, brownies, ice cream, cakes...etc.

I have opened and smelled this so many times, it smells so good and strong I cannot wait to put it to wonderful use.  I am lucky that my kids love mint, especially with chocolate!  There is 7 more days left until I strain out the leaves.  I will be sure to find a great recipe to post utilizing this Peppermint Extract.  If you have any favorites be sure to send them to me. 



Thanks for visiting me @



Today's recipes where brought to you by, inspired or adapted from:  The Loving Path

9 comments:

  1. I've never thought to make my own peppermint extract- that's pretty genius. I can't wait to see what you make with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Monica, I am wondering what to make first???

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a good idea! I purposely didn't grow mint this year because I didn't know what to do with it. I'm definitely doing this next year! Great tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to see what you bake up with it. You can bottle it in pretty little jars and give it away!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Megan! I know there is only so much peppermint tea to make ;) Hope your Peppermint is abundant for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ingrid, I was thinking the same thing :) I need to start keeping my eye out for cute bottles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was wondering if you were satisfied with the taste of your extract. I made mine the same was a couple months ago, it has yet to taste how I want it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You need to shake the jar once or twice a week to draw out the peppermint extract :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rather than bruise the leaves with your hands (which leaves a lot of the essential oils that you are trying to capture on your hands), just place them in the jar and bruise with a spoon (i.e. Mojitos). Just a suggestion.

    ReplyDelete