Beurre Noisette Brownies (Browned Butter Brownies)

This got the Bon Apetit magazines best brownie.  I had to try it.  Perfect chocolate, chewy, fudgey and deep flavor from the browned butter.  A+ in my kitchen trials.  This is hands down going into My Favorite and My Best file.


Instead of walnuts I used pecans and dried cherries to fit this week of love and hearts and turned them into a Cherry Cordial Brownie.  I also love the fact that you use one pot to make these besides the pan.  Less mess is always a plus, the pan even stays clean from the foil.  This is a wonderful brownie just plain too.  I honestly don't know if I will ever try another brownie recipe.  They are just that good!  I am not kidding here, if you have a family favorite be prepared to cheat on your old recipe with this new one.

Have a wonderful Valentine's Day and weekend!  Being heart healthy has never been so easy or delicious!

See here for an extended How To: Beurre Noisette (Browned Butter) along with a wonderful muffin recipe.


Beurre Noisette Brownies (Browned Butter Brownies)
Print recipe here
10 TB (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 1/4 C raw cane sugar
3/4 C natural unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp water
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
¼ tsp celtic sea salt
2 eggs
1/3 C + 1 TB flour, unbromated and unbleached
1 C chopped nuts- walnuts, pecans, peanuts, hazelnuts, etc.


1. Position rack in bottom third of oven; preheat to 325 degrees F. Line 8x8x2-inch metal baking pan with foil, pressing foil firmly against pan sides and leaving 2-inch overhang. Coat foil with a little butter or spray.



2. Make your Beurre Noisette (Browned Butter) by melting butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Continue cooking until butter stops foaming and browned bits form at bottom of pan, stirring often for about 5 minutes.


3. Remove from heat; immediately add in sugar, cocoa, water, vanilla, and salt. Whisk to blend. Let cool 5 minutes (mixture will still be hot).


4. Add eggs to hot mixture one at a time, whisking vigorously to blend after each addition. When mixture looks thick and shiny, add flour and stir until blended. Beat vigorously 60 strokes. Stir in nuts. Transfer batter to prepared pan.


5. Bake brownies until toothpick inserted into center comes out almost clean, about 25-35 minutes. (There will be some fudgey chocolate on the toothpick and will not be like checking a cake.)  Cool in pan on rack. Using foil overhang, lift brownies from pan. Cut into any size squares you desire.


Note:  To make these into Cherry Cordial Brownies like I did,
here are the substitutions: replace 2 teaspoons water with Organic Cherry Concentrate, replace 1 cup walnuts with 1/2 cup chopped pecans and 1/2 cup dried cherries. 
Simply divine and simply addictive!  I will never make a pan of these with no one around, it would be far too dangerous.  I could barely stop myself enough to bring them to share at a birthday dinner! 



Today's recipes where brought to you by, inspired or adapted from:   Bon Appetit 

3 comments:

  1. These look sooo yummy! I LOVE brownies!!!! Will try and make them for my family! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm posting a browned butter dessert recipe tomorrow so great minds think alike! I'm a recent convert to browned butter but oh my, what a difference it makes. These brownies look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh nice! I saw this recipe on the cover and immediately flipped to the back of the magazine to look at the recipe. These look great!

    ReplyDelete