Are you like some I know and don't care for beans? Simply leave them out. No beer? Use wine or chicken broth, etc. Save yourself some time and a trip to the store...improvise...always improvise.
Do you all remember the skit from In Living Color with Jim Carrey? Pork and Beans!?
I hope yours turns out better than his!
Pulled Pork and Beans
Print recipe here
2 pound pork roast1 can beer
½-1 whole red onion, sliced
1 jalapeno, chopped
2 tsp garlic, minced
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp cumin
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp celtic sea salt
½ tsp fresh cracked pepper
1- 15 oz can pinto beans, drained
1. Place all ingredients except beans into your slow cooker. Cook on low 8-10 hours or high for 4-6 hours.
2. 1 hour before serving, shred pork with forks right in the casserole. Add the drained beans. Cook on low for remaining hour. Serve in tortillas, taco shells, over Spanish Rice, tostada shells, in a taco salad or plop on a bun with pepper jack cheese for a Mexican inspired 'samich.
Print recipe here
2 TB butter
1 tsp garlic, minced
2 C basmati rice
½ whole red or yellow onion, diced
1 tsp dried oregano
½ t ground chipotle, ancho or chili powder
1- 15 oz can tomato sauce (or a scant 2 cups)
1- 15 oz can low sodium chicken broth (or a scant 2 cups)
½ cup cilantro, chopped
½ of a lime, juiced
1. In a larger skillet, heat butter and garlic, saute 1 minute over medium heat. Add rice, onion and seasoning. Cook 5 minutes or until grains turn golden.
2. Stir in the tomato sauce and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, over high heat, stirring frequently. Once boiling, turn heat to low. Cover and let simmer 25-30 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and let stand, covered for at least 5 minutes. Stir in cilantro, squeeze your ½ a lime over whole dish and serve.
Today's recipes where brought to you by, inspired or adapted from: A Good Appetite
Linked up at : 33 Shades of Green and Traditional Tuesday