Loose Meat on Toasted Sourdough

Happy belated 4th of July everyone!  Has it really been 2 weeks since I have posted another recipe?!?!  Summer has been very good to us, but in turn not good to the recipe blog.  I am still cooking and creating in my new kitchen!  This summer we have also been busy landscaping, digging perennial and tree holes.  By the time I am done and continuously picking the dirt out of my nails, I have been just too plum-tuckered-out to type when I have a moment.
What have you been up to this summer???  Planting or gardening?  Watching evening baseball games?  Biking to the farmer's market?  Swimming at the lake?  Grilling?  That is just a few of my favorite summer things in MN....and happily taking up our time.

This meal is fast, filling, savory and healthy.  This recipe is a mix of loose meat, Sloppy Joe's and S.O.S.    Not using any flavor packets, preservatives or cheaply filled jars of over priced food here!  Real food, real healthy and real good.  We served ours over toasted Sourdough bread with a slice of pepper jack cheese under the meat.  Making for awesome and easy leftovers for lunch the next day.  Nothing super fancy, just good, nutritious food. 


Loose Meat on Toasted Sourdough
Print recipe here
2 pounds grass fed ground beef
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp celtic sea salt or to taste
½ tsp fresh ground back pepper
1 (about 1 C) red onion, chopped
1 (about 1 C) bell pepper, chopped
4 stalks (about 1 C) celery, chopped
1 15 oz can Muir Glen Tomato Sauce
2 C low sodium beef broth
¼ C raw honey
¼ C apple cider vinegar (with mother aka unfiltered or raw)
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground mustard powder


1. Brown ground beef, garlic, salt and pepper in large skillet over medium high heat for 10 minutes, until almost cooked through. Add onion, peppers and celery. Saute another 5-10 minutes until beef is fully cooked and onions are slightly translucent.


2. Stir in the tomato sauce, broth, honey, vinegar, chili and mustard powder. Let come to a boil then turn the heat down to low and let simmer 30 minutes.


3. Serve over toasted Sourdough bread or buns. We serve ours S.O.S. style with a little pepper jack cheese under the meat.
 


Today's recipes where brought to you by, inspired or adapted from:  A Little Bit of Spain in Iowa

Linked up at:  33 Shades of Green, Lady Behind the Curtain, The Healthy Home Economist

9 comments:

  1. Made this for dinner last night--a big hit! I've made sloppy joe many times and always served it on hamburger buns. I happened to have a loaf of sourdough in the breadbox and some pepper jack cheese in the fridge, so I followed your suggestion and broiled the cheese on the bread and served it on that. *Much* better than on plain hamburger buns. I'll make this one again. I just love recipes that use ingredients that I usually have in the house--no special trips to the grocery. Thanks!--Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Usually you could not get me to touch a sloppy joe with a ten foot pole, but this looks savory, hearty, and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing! I would love it if you came by and shared some of your recipes with us at Cast Party Wednesday tomorrow.
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks just delicious. I cannot wait to give it a try. Come over and visit us. We have a wonderful grilled fruit recipe and tomorrow a wonderful option for a picnic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely a more mature version of a sloppy Joe. Everything in this dish, esp the honey sounds delicious! Good one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! This looks soooo tasty!!

    New to your blog; happy I found you!

    Mary xo
    Delightful Bitefuls

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anon- Thank you for the review! I am a bg beleiver in avoiding that extra trip to the store :)
    Baker- me either :P But i loved this!
    Lady- I will stop by, thank you for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carolina- Thanks, please come back and review :)
    Robin Sue- Thanks! It is grown up but the kids loved it, haha.
    Mary- Welcome! I will stop by your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for stopping by Cast Party Wednesday last week. I really appreciate you sharing your recipe with us. I hope you will join us again for another awesome party filled with yummy recipes.
    Thanks Again!

    ReplyDelete